CHEESY BROCCOLI AND RANCH SMASHED POTATOES
Create a simple recipe and reflect on your cooking experience.
Cheesy Broccoli and Ranch Smashed Potatoes
Available in Shop 4-H Curriculum: Learn, Grow, Eat, and Go!
Kids are more likely to eat vegetables if they have opportunities to taste and experience them in different, fun ways. In this activity, kids will make a simple recipe using fresh or frozen broccoli.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 Minutes
3 medium potatoes
1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets
3/4 cup of low-fat cheddar cheese
6 tablespoons of low-fat ranch dressing
3/4 cup low-fat milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Extra cheese for topping
Large microwave-safe dish with lid
Towel or oven-safe gloves
- Wash your hands and clean your cooking area.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Place the whole potatoes in a large microwave-safe dish.
- Add the frozen broccoli on top.
- Completely cover the bowl with a micowave-safe lid.
- Microwave on high for 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Use a towel or oven-safe gloves to carefully take off the lid and remove the dish from the microwave. (Be very careful to avoid the steam.)
- Use a potato masher to break up the potatoes and broccoli.
- Stir in the cheese, ranch dressing, and milk.
10. Taste the dish and then add salt and pepper as needed.
11. As an option, you can sprinkle cheese on top of the potatoe mixture.
How kids can help: Scrub the potatoes, measure and pour the ingredients, and mash and stir the mixture.