CHEESY BROCCOLI AND RANCH SMASHED POTATOES
Create a simple recipe and reflect on your cooking experience.
About the Activity
Kids are more likely to eat vegetables if they have opportunities to taste and experience them in different, fun ways. In this activity, kids will make a simple recipe using fresh or frozen broccoli.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 Minutes
Everything you need to make this tasty dish.
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Large microwave-safe dish with lid
- Towel or oven-safe gloves
- Potato masher
- Mixing spoon
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup of low-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons of low-fat ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Extra cheese for topping
- Wash your hands and clean your cooking area.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Place the whole potatoes in a large microwave-safe dish.
- Add the frozen broccoli on top.
- Completely cover the bowl with a micowave-safe lid.
- Microwave on high for 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Use a towel or oven-safe gloves to carefully take off the lid and remove the dish from the microwave. (Be very careful to avoid the steam.)
- Use a potato masher to break up the potatoes and broccoli.
- Stir in the cheese, ranch dressing, and milk.
10. Taste the dish and then add salt and pepper as needed.
11. As an option, you can sprinkle cheese on top of the potatoe mixture.
How kids can help: Scrub the potatoes, measure and pour the ingredients, and mash and stir the mixture.
Test Your Knowledge
Try these kitchen math and science questions below to reflect on your cooking experience, practice measurement conversions, and more.