JOANN'S LOUISIANA BLUE CRAB DIP
Featured in Fresh Chefs, a collection of recipes from the 4-H family
About the Activity
“My Louisiana Chef demo partner, Audreanna, and I made this recipe from my great-great grandma JoAnn for 4-H University 2019 and we placed first in the state! We had a blast catching local crabs and finding fresh ingredients from our area to use for our demonstration. While the dip tastes great warm or cold, we like it best served warm!”
Grade Level: 1-8
Topic: Food Science, Food Safety
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Submitted by Aubrie, 16, Louisiana
Supplies and Ingredients
Gather the following ingredients and supplies for this activity.
- 1/4 cup low fat margarine
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 pound lump crab meat, freshly frozen, picked over for shells
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat.
- Sauté onions and bell peppers until onions are tender and transparent. Add softened cream cheese and stir constantly until melted.
- Gently fold in crab meat until mixture is consistent throughout. Continue to cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with pastry shells or crackers.