Purple Cabbage Slaw with Apples and Lime Vinaigrette with Seared Jerk Chicken Breast
We’re celebrating National Nutrition Month with a 4-H at Home cooking demo, brought to you by Walmart! Join chef, multimedia host and New York 4-H alum Lazarus Lynch and Tennessee 4-H’er Yusuf for a fun, delicious and healthy dish of Purple Cabbage Slaw with Apples and Lime Vinaigrette with Seared Jerk Chicken Breast (YUM!).
Courtesy of: Chef, Author, Activist, New York 4-H Alumnus and face of the brand Son of a Southern Chef, Lazarus Lynch
Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours, 15 Minutes
Servings: 2 - 6
- 1 whisk
- 1 knife
- 1 cutting board
- 1 storage bag
- 2 large bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 very small bowl
- 1 medium to large skillet
- 2 plates (one for serving and the other for resting)
Seared Jerk Chicken Breast
1 Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breast,
split in half
½ teaspoon Allspice
¼ teaspoon Dark Brown sugar
¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
¼ teaspoon each of Kosher Salt &
1 tablespoon olive oil
Purple Cabbage Slaw with Apples
1 (10-ounce) bag Purple cabbage,
shredded, about 2 cups 1 Apple (Gala or Fuji), julienned
½ of 1 red onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup chopped scallions, green parts only
½ cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
½ teaspoons lime zest
1 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
½ cup olive oil
- Combine all spices, olive oil in a freezer storage bag. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat in marinade. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the lime juice, lime zest, and honey. Begin whisking and slowly drizzle in the olive oil, until the dressing is emulsified.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the red cabbage, apples, red onion, scallions, and cilantro. Pour over the Lime vinaigrette then toss gently. Set aside. Toss the salad every now and then.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and sear on both sides until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and flip the chicken, cooking until golden brown on the other side, about 5-6 more minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Cover the plate with aluminum foil, and allow the chicken to rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing. (The internal temperature of your chicken should reach 165°F to ensure doneness.) Slice the chicken.
- Place some of the slaw mixture on a plate then top with slices of the jerk chicken. Spoon over any remaining pan juices over the salad and top with fresh cilantro leaves. Make it gravy!!
Brought to you by:
No endorsement of these supporters' products or services is granted or implied by 4‑H.