About the Activity
Celebrate Valentine’s Day in style with this colorful tie-dye activity complete with a heart-shaped design! These t-shirts can be the perfect handmade gift for your friends and family or can make a great Valentine’s Day outfit to wear yourself.
Estimated Time: 1-2 hours
Brought to you by JOANN Fabrics and Crafts.
A few basic craft supplies will get you started.
- Assorted colors of fabric dye
- Fabric markers
- White t-shirt
- Rubber bands
- Ziploc bag
- Baking rack
Follow these simple steps to make your tie-dye t-shirt.
- Lay out damp shirt and smooth out wrinkles. Fold the shirt in half lengthwise.
- Use a washable marker to draw half heart shape along the fold.
- Pleat along marker line and bind with rubber band.
- Put a small amount of mixed Fuchsia dye into a spare dye bottle. Fill with water and test on a paper towel until desired shade is achieved, adding more dye or water as needed.
- Apply diluted dye to tied heart section. Then apply full strength dye to body of shirt and accent with leftover diluted dye.
- Insert a piece of cardstock into shirt and apply desired words with Opaque marker.
Brought to you by:
No endorsement of these supporters' products or services is granted or implied by 4‑H.