This curriculum is designed as a guide for the project facilitator. The activities and background information in this curriculum will help youth develop the requisite knowledge and skills associated with raising and showing swine. Activities are youth centered and include opportunities for the application of knowledge and skills at three different levels of experience: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
Youth learn many things, including:
- bio-security risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
- budgeting decisions associated with raising and housing swine.
- dietary needs of pigs at different life stages.
- pre-show preparation; showmanship; and judging.
- ethical decision making in caring for and showing swine.