4‑H STEM CHALLENGE DESIGN
Inspiring young people everywhere to participate in STEM through hands-on learning.
The 4‑H STEM Challenge is a coordinated effort between National 4‑H Council and the Cooperative Extension System to deliver innovative STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) programming to youth nationwide. Supported by corporate and foundation partnerships, The STEM Challenge is an annual kit-based learning opportunity focused on topic areas of interest to youth.
2024 4‑H STEM Challenge Topic
The 2024 challenge kit topic is Food Security and will connect directly to the overarching theme of Environment/Climate/Green Innovation.
For 2024, a national committee of four educators, each from different Land-Grant University (LGU) will be selected to work directly with Council to develop the 2024 Challenge. Committee members will receive a $12,000 stipend and letter of acknowledgement for their contributions to this effort.
- Credited as a co-creator and co-author of a published and peer reviewed national STEM learning based kit.
- Receive experience in STEM-based activity design and lesson plan and facilitator guide writing.
- Collaborate with a team of 4‑H professionals from across the U.S.
- Receive personal and LGU recognition nationwide.
Committee Member Expectations
- Work with the design committee to develop two – four fun, engaging and quality educational activities that will be included in a theme-based kit.
- Test designed activities with youth and 4‑H educators in their state to gather feedback to refine activities.
- Develop written guidebooks for adult and youth facilitators and summary descriptions of the kit activities.
- Co-present during virtual informational and training sessions for 4‑H educators/staff.
- Attend an in-person Design Summit and regular scheduled virtual meetings.
- Approximate 1-year commitment (April 2023 – April 2024).
- Attendance at 2-day Design Summit. Tentatively in the spring of 2023. Location to be determined.
- Virtual weekly 1-hour meetings (Zoom or Teams) tentatively April 2023 through September 2023. Bi-weekly/as needed meetings October 2023 through April 2024.
- Time to achieve Committee Member Expectations listed above.
Committee Member Stipend
- Each committee member’s LGU would receive $12,000.
- Stipend is intended to cover travel expenses for the Design Summit and any other costs associated with committee member participation.
- A portion of the funds can be paid out in 4‑H STEM Challenge kits.
Committee Member Eligibility Requirements:
- Employed by a LGU and have the support of the state program leader or administrator.
- Provide a brief letter of support (2-4 sentences) from the LGU’s 4‑H State Program Leader or an immediate supervisor to acknowledge their approval of the applicant’s participation and meeting the required expectations.
- Prior experience developing STEM-based activities, lesson plans and/or curriculum.
- Able to meet all Expectations and Time Commitments listed above.
- Access to work directly with young people ages 8-14 to test activities.
- Not required to have previous STEM challenge kit development experience.
- Previous STEM Challenge kit development participants may apply.
Interested? To apply, fill out the following 2024 STEM CHALLENGE COMMITTEE APPLICATION by Monday, March 20, 2023. You will be asked to provide basic personal information, a short bio, answer four STEM-related questions and attach a letter of support.