4‑H in Africa
4‑H is uniquely positioned to meet urgent global needs. The young people of today are the farmers who will feed the world in 2050, and there are more than one billion people between 12 and 24.
The 4‑H Movement
4‑H programs, delivered through Cooperative Extension at land-grant universities in the United States as well as independent 4‑H programs from around the world, are uniquely positioned to meet urgent global needs:
- Young people are the drivers of change—and today there are more than one billion people between 12 and 24.
- The young people of today are the farmers who will feed the world in 2050.
- 4‑H reaches 7 million young people in more than 50 countries.
- More than 3.5 million girls and young women are leading in 4‑H today.
- The 4‑H high quality positive youth development experience is proven effective—with a 100-year history of agricultural and economic development.
- A global network of independent 4‑H programs is working together to offer the 4‑H experience to millions more young people—with a goal to double the number of young leaders reached outside the U.S. by 2015.