Easy Coffee Cake
Learn how to bake a simple, single-serve coffee cake using a few simple baking ingredients.
About the Activity
Treat yourself to a perfectly portioned serving of coffee cake, and pair it with your breakfast or enjoy it as a sweet treat after dinner. This sensational cinnamon dessert is baked in a microwave and designed to be single-serve, but that doesn’t mean you can’t double the recipe and bake a second for someone else in your family. Enjoy the simplicity of small-scale baking with this tutorial that uses basic baking ingredients you likely already have in the kitchen.
This allergy-free recipe delivers a homemade single-serve coffee cake that caters to your taste buds.
Topic: Food Science, Cooking
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Minute
Created by Kristin Osika, 4-H Youth-in-Action Winner
Supplies and Ingredients
Gather the following ingredients and supplies for this activity.
- Microwave-safe ramekin
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Stirring spoon
- Microwave (900 watts)
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon for the cake, and an additional ¼ teaspoon for the topping
- 2-½ tablespoons nondairy milk
- 1-½ tablespoons of packed brown sugar for the cake plus two additional teaspoons for the topping
- ½ teaspoon oil
Baking a single-serving coffee cake doesn’t have to be complicated! Using a microwave makes it easier for anyone looking to learn the basics of baking.
- First, measure and mix the gluten-free flour, baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon in your ramekin.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the ramekin including the nondairy milk (like coconut milk), oil, and 1½ tablespoons of packed brown sugar. Stir the ingredients together thoroughly to create a smooth batter.
- Separately in a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of packed brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle this topping over the batter in the ramekin.
- Microwave the ramekin for 1 minute, and then allow it to cool for two minutes before diving in!
Shop 4-H Curriculum and Products
Shop4-H.org offers university-backed STEM curriculum, educational kits, products and supplies to expand your knowledge of space, rocketry and more.
$15.95 | $23.95