Cooking Methods & Recipes
Available in Discover 4-H Cloverbud: Family and Consumer Sciences by Utah State University
The previous two activities lay the foundation for this fun final challenge that will teach kids about different cooking methods by making pretzels, granola and banana dips to enjoy!
- Cookie sheet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large bowl
- 1 package yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cooking Spray
Stir Crazy Granola: substitute any of the ingredient below for anything you have on hand
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dry powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sealable bags
- 1 banana per person
- Chocolate chips
- Popsicle sticks or skewers
- Wax paper
Depending on the age of the kids, you can prepare the dough for the pretzel bites ahead of time: Dissolve the yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, and 3 cups of flour. Mix until smooth. Add the rest of the flour until dough is stiff. Knead for 5-10 minutes.
- Make sure to wash hands before beginning.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Divide the pre-made dough into pieces. Roll several pieces of dough into a snake about 15 inches long.
- Place the snakes on a greased cookie sheet. Brush the dough with beaten egg. Top with salt and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. When cooled, cut the pretzels into bite-sized pieces.
- Move on to Stir Crazy Granola while the pretzels are cooking and cooling.
Stir Crazy Granola
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the oatmeal, wheat germ, coconut, sunflower seeds, dry powdered milk, and cinnamon. Add the honey, oil, and vanilla. Let each child take a turn stirring the mixture until it is fully mixed.
- Spread the mixture on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the granola to cool and then divide and put into sealable bags.
- Move on to activity #3 while the granola is cooking and cooling.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until the chocolate is melted.
- Peel a banana and place a popsicle stick in one end.
- Place a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Dip the banana in the chocolate and place it on the cookie sheet.
- Place the bananas in the freezer until the chocolate hardens.