MINI BLUEBERRY PIES
Featured in Fresh Chefs, a collection of recipes from the 4-H family
About the Activity
Apple, pumpkin, coconut cream, key lime – the most popular pies are obvious. But blueberry pies are arguably just as tasty as any of the above, with a perfect balance of sweet and tart. The only thing better are these mini blueberry pies that are highly portable and extremely delicious.
Grade Level: 1-8
Topic: Food Science, Food Safety
Preparation Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: 25 - 30 Minutes
Submitted by Cady and Madison, 16, Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana. Avoyelles Parish Jr. Leaders
Supplies and Ingredients
Gather the following ingredients and supplies for this activity.
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of blueberries and bring to a boil. Stir until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Add butter, lemon juice, and remaining two cups of blueberries. Stir until butter is melted.
- Place pieces of pie shell into cupcake pan.
- Put 1/3 cup of filling into each pie shell.
- Place in oven for 25-30 minutes.