My Work, My Future
About the Activity
In this activity, youth will explore their career interests. They’ll also answer questions to help them think about various aspects of their future careers.
Grades: Ages 10-13
Topic: Career Exploration
Estimated Time: 45 Minutes
What You'll Need
- Pen or pencil
- An internet-connected smartphone, tablet or computer
- Imagine a list of 2-3 careers you think you might be interested in. To get started, think about things you like to do. Can you think of careers that would allow you to use those skills or interests?
- Using the internet, look up your dream careers and write down key information in the chart below, including:
- Years of education required
- Estimated cost of education required
- Average salary
- Job growth outlook
- Certifications/credentials required
- Main job duties
- After you complete the chart in the activity (linked in the above module), narrow down to your top career choice. Why did you pick this one?
Questions to Engage Youth
- What careers did you select and why? How are your finances and your future career-related?
- The career you want most may not be the one that pays the most money. How might that affect your financial planning?
- Your chosen career might require some upfront investments of time and money for additional education. How might you plan for that? Are there some things you can do right now? How about in five years?
- How do you think this career field will change between now and when you would start working? (Think about technology advancements, new inventions, etc.)
- What is one thing you’d like to accomplish during the course of your career?
In all likelihood, your career will be an important part of your life. That’s why it’s a good idea to start thinking about careers you might enjoy early. The good news is that you have plenty of time to explore your interests and start planning your future. But don’t feel like you need to have it all figured out now. In fact, many of the jobs you could end up working in throughout your life might not even exist yet!
Download the My Work, My Future Activity
Brought to you by:
No endorsement of these supporters' products or services is granted or implied by 4‑H. TD Ameritrade® commentary is for educational purposes only. Member SIPC. All investing involves risks, including risk of loss.