- 2 medium avocados
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk (or nondairy alternative)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a blender or food processor combine all ingredients on high for 30 seconds. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl and process for 1 minute more.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and cover. Allow to chill in the refrigerator to get cold, about 2 hours.
- 6 ears corn, husked and cleaned
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook corn in boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes until tender.
- Drain, then set to cool for five minutes.
- Once cool, cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.
- In a large bowl, toss together the corn, tomatoes, onion, basil, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Serve warm, or chill in the refrigerator 2 hours before mealtime – whichever you prefer.
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pour apple juice into an ice cube tray and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to make, rinse and slice strawberries adding them to the bowl of a blender along with frozen apple juice cubes, lemon juice, and water. Blend on high or on a smoothie setting until ice cubes have broken down.
- Serve immediately.
#4: Grilled Garlic Parmesan Zucchini
Zucchinis are one of the joys of summer. If you don’t have a bounty of zucchini fresh from the garden, they’re easy to find this time of year. And the smoky taste of anything off the grill during the summer will appeal to anyone in your family, whether they’re meat eaters or veggie lovers. Don’t have a grill? That’s okay, a grill pan or cast-iron skillet can do similar wonders.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 3 zucchini
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate. Use a cast-iron skillet or grill plate as an alternative, if you don’t have a grill.
- Cut the zucchini in half crosswise, then slice each half into 3 slices lengthwise.
- Mix the butter, parsley and garlic in a bowl, then spread the mixture on both sides of each zucchini slice.
- Sprinkle one side of each slice with Parmesan cheese, and p
- Place the slices on the grill crosswise on the preheated grill to keep them from falling through.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the slices are cooked through and show grill marks, about 7 minutes.