Here at 4‑H, we encourage kids and parents to continue to learn by doing whenever possible. By encouraging kids to engage in their surroundings and explore their curiosity, we give them the opportunity to learn skills that easily translate to various parts of their lives. What’s a good way to spark your child’s interest in doing home projects together? Baking bread!
Every kid likes a sandwich – grilled cheese, PB&J – no matter the sandwich, there’s always that one common ingredient – bread! Even if you think your child doesn’t have an interest in cooking, introducing a fun way to make a favorite snack might just challenge them to take a chance.
Here’s a step by step guide from our Inspire Kids To Do Activity Guide that The Typical Mom Blog decided to try as well!
How To Make Bread In A Bag
You don’t need much to make bread in a bag, you’re ingredients are:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg. yeast quick-rising
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp nonfat dry milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c water HOT
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 c whole wheat flour
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Your basic steps for making bread in a bag:
- Combine all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar, dry milk, and salt into a freezer bag, squeeze air out and zip closed.
- Shake to blend ingredients, then add your hot water and oil into this mixture.
- Reseal your bag and work together using your fingers until well combined.
- Add whole wheat flour, reseal bag and mix again thoroughly.
- Add a bit of the remaining 1 c. all purpose flour at a time, kneading in the bag in between, until the dough stiffens and begins to pull away from the bag.
- Once this is achieved, remove dough from bag and put on a floured cutting board to knead with your hands.
- Knead for 2-4 min. until smooth and elastic, cover dough in a bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough into a 12×7″ rectangle, place in a loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Put in a warm location for 20 min or until dough doubles in size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 25 min. or until top is golden brown and knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Did you try making Bread in a Bag with your family? If so, share your photos on social media using #InspireKidstoDo!
For more tips and ideas to help inspire your kids to be doers, download the 4‑H Inspire Kids to Do Activity Guide!