- all young people’s potential;
- developing young people who are empowered, confident, hard-working, determined, responsible and compassionate—seeing a world beyond themselves so that they have the life-long skills to succeed in college and career,
- ensuring access and equity for all,
- the power of America’s leading public universities,
- the practice of positive youth development (PYD)* by creating positive learning experiences,
- caring and trusted adult mentors who cultivate positive relationships with youth,
- creating safe, diverse and inclusive environments, and
- meeting young people wherever they are.
National Reach, Local Programs for Kids
In 4‑H programs, kids and teens complete hands-on projects in areas like health, science, agriculture and civic engagement in a positive environment where they receive guidance from adult mentors and are encouraged to take on proactive leadership roles. Kids experience 4‑H in every county and parish in the country through in-school and after-school programs, school and community clubs and 4‑H camps.
4‑H’s reach and depth are unmatched, reaching kids in every corner of America – from urban neighborhoods to suburban schoolyards to rural farming communities. Our network of 500,000 volunteers and 3,500 4‑H professionals provides caring and supportive mentoring to all 6 million 4‑H’ers, helping them grow into true leaders today and in life.